Tuesday, August 13, 2013

What's this? A New Post?

I really am the worst person in the world to try and keep up with a blog. I tend to get lost in the 'making things' and forget about the 'photographing' and 'posting' part of all of this!

In any case, I recently made two pieces that I'm really happy with. I love customizing pieces that can be used every day. I created these two compacts with resin and a few jewelry components that I had in my supply closet. I loved how both came out! They are both currently in my Etsy Shop.

The first design had a pretty heavy Steampunk influence. I love clockwork gears and the look of metal. I love the weight behind this compact. I bought a big lot of watch parts on ebay a couple of summers ago, and this watch plate was one of my favorite pieces. I really love the patterns etched into the piece, and I think the shape is so cute. It almost looks like paisley! I balanced the piece out with a few gears and a teal Swarovski Elements bead that kind of lost it's shape under the resin. I used my favorite resin, Envirotex Easy Cast, to seal everything in place. I love that it makes a beautiful crystal clear finish. 




For the second compact, I used a nautical design. I am completely in love with everything nautical. I used a pendant that used to belong to a broken necklace and removed the bail. The whole thing felt a little empty, so of course I had to spice it up a bit with some embellishments!  I started by taking some watercolor paper and painting it blue, then used a 1 1/4 inch hole punch to create the blue background. I sealed the paper with some Mod Podge. I love how it looks like clouds floating in the background. I then used a bit of rhinestone chain and some thin curb chain to complete the design. Once again I set everything in place using Envirotex EasyCast resin. This 'bezel' is pretty shallow, so the resin was the perfect way to make sure all of the pieces were secured in place.





So this was just a quick update to show you what I've been working on! Hopefully I'll be able to get my butt in gear and post more updates soon! 

What have you been working on? Got any resin tips or tricks to share? Leave them in the comments! I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment