Monday, March 11, 2013

DIY Turquoise Pendant

(This is another tutorial I posted on my old  Tumblr. I figured I'd move the handful of posts from there to here, just to give the page a few items while I work on new projects.)


Okay, so, there is very little in this world that I love more than turquoise. But it’s pretty expensive, so I decided to try making my own.
This is so ridiculously easy, and you can try it with different colors to make something really special and unique.
1) You’ll need two different colors of clay. This doesn’t require very much clay, so if you have anything left over from another project, this would be a great way to use up extras.
2) Roll the blue clay into a ball, and roll the black clay into a thin tube. 
3) Break off little pieces of the black clay, and press it around the ball. Vary the directions that you place the black onto the blue clay. This will create interesting variations in the finished product and it will look more natural. 
4) Roll, mash, stretch and fold the clay. Keep doing this until you achieve the amount of variegation that you like.
5) Try not to let the colors blend together. You don’t want a uniform color.  You just want the them blended enough so that it looks like there are black streaks throughout the blue clay.
6) You can hand shape the pendant if you’d like, but I used one of my resin molds to create a more perfectly rounded shape. I pressed it into the mold, making sure to completely fill the mold. I let it set for a few minutes, then popped it back out. Try not to handle it too much. You don’t want to dent the clay, or to leave fingerprints.
7) Follow the baking directions on the clay package. I used Premo! by Sculpey, which calls for small pieces to be baked at 275f for 25 minutes. This is the finished piece after it came out of the oven. 
8) You now have a really gorgeous pendant that you can use in any craft or jewelry project! You can use a bead reamer or a jeweler’s driller to drill a hole into it. I just wrapped mine with wire to form a simple necklace!
And that’s that! Super easy and very very cute.   

No comments:

Post a Comment